Dental implants are an artificial tooth root made out of titanium that enables a patient to have the look and feel of natural teeth.
The implant is small and appears to a layperson to be a miniature “screw” that is surgically placed into the jawbone – serving as an artificial tooth root – which then supports a restoration such as a crown, bridge, or denture, allowing patients to have the look and feel of natural teeth.
Dental implants are typically made of titanium which is a material that is well accepted by the body; over time the patient’s bone fuses/connects to the Titanium. There are various implant systems available and numerous types of implants in different lengths and diameters. Your dentist will select the appropriate implants according to your treatment plan
Am I a candidate for dental implants?
Dr Michael Tang will be able to determine for certain if there are any concerns for you to have dental implants placed, but generally if you are healthy you can proceed with treatment. A consultation with Dr Tang to assess the general condition of your mouth and x-rays/ CT scans will be used to evaluate the quantity and quality of bone helping to determine whether or not implants are appropriate.
Factors such as smoking, drinking and existing health conditions, such as diabetes, will be taken into consideration by your dentist before offering dental implant treatment.
If you are interested please book a FREE CONSULTATION with Dr. Tang.
Top 8 reasons to get dental implants instead of other treatment options:
- Adjacent teeth are NOT compromised
- Prevents bone loss and preserves facial appearance
- Can be more cost effective in the long term
- Improves confidence – looks and feels like a natural tooth
- Can be a permanent, lifetime solution
- Easier to clean and maintain than alternatives
- You can chew and enjoy a wider range of foods
- If you wear dentures, securing them on implants is proven to improve your health
For more information, please visit the Association of Dental Implantology website here.